Sunday, October 28, 2007

Podcast 11


A New Computer

Hello, and welcome to English for Spanish speakers. My name is Frank, and as I promised in my last podcast, I am going to describe some of the trials and tribulations I have undergone as a result of buying a new computer.

My old computer was over 6 years old, which is an eternity in the world of computers. While I know it could prepare my podcasts, pay my bills, and handle word processing, it would begin to choke when it came to video processing and other computationally intensive tasks. I decided it was time for a new one. For many years now I have purchased Dell computers over the Internet and have been very pleased with them, so I decided to buy another Dell. I also had my eyes on one of the wide flat-panel screens so I made sure that was in my order. I also knew the other items of hardware that I wanted, so those choices were relatively easy. The difficult choice was the operating system. Should I stay with Windows XP or move to the new Windows Vista operating system? I thought that Windows XP is a seasoned and stable operating system; however, I’ll probably keep my new computer about 5 or 6 years, and after another year or two all of the new programs and updates will be written for Vista. Microsoft may stop supporting Windows XP in a few years. I opted for Vista.

Dell delivered the computer to my house in a few days. The computer was very easy to set up and get working. The real work came in moving all of the software that I had on my old computer to my new computer. I had purchased a special cable and software to facilitate the transfer, but it was hardly worth the money. The software sold today in the US has so many security features that require you to insert original disks, enter serial numbers, etc. that it probably would have been just as fast using my original disks to load all of the software onto the new computer. If it were simply the fact that it took so long to transfer everything from old computer to new I probably wouldn’t be making this the subject of a podcast. The problem is that some of the software won’t run under the new Vista operating system and I had to buy expensive upgrades to replace it! In addition, I had to buy a new scanner because my old scanner wouldn’t run under Windows Vista and the manufacturer had no intention of providing a software upgrade that would allow it to work. I also had to replace two printers because of software problems, although I have to admit one of them had been giving me so many problems that I was quite happy to have an excuse to replace it. But that wasn’t the end of it! My company makes it very easy for people, such as myself, to access company systems and data from anywhere in the world; however, they have very strict security standards. As I tried to put my security software on my new computer I received the message that the software does not work on Windows Vista! I’ll have to put the security software on my wife’s computer, which is still running on Windows XP.

Windows Vista is advertised as coming with several new security features, which is true. There is so much security that I have been locked out of several of my programs. After many hours, I finally figured out how to get access to some of the program features that I needed, but I still have annoying messages popping up saying that I am not authorized to do certain things. If I am not authorized, I don’t know who is! In short, the experience of converting to Windows Vista has been a nightmare. I am still trying to figure out what to do with critical programs that I have on my old computer that won’t convert to Windows Vista. I have also had to spend several hundred dollars for new hardware to replace hardware that won’t run under Windows Vista. If you’re about to buy a new computer, think twice. Are your printers, scanners, and other hardware supported on Windows Vista? Will all of your software run on the new operating system or will you have to spend a lot of money for upgrades? Are you willing to spend all of the time necessary to get the old programs running under the new operating system? If you find the prospect of any of those things daunting, stick with Windows XP. Better yet, consider buying an Apple. Everyone I know who has an Apple says that they don’t have these types of problems, things just work!

I want to remind you that there is a blog that accompanies this podcast. You can find it at www.inglesparahispanohablantes.com.


Una Nueva Computadora

Hola y bienvenido a Inglés para hispanohablantes. Me llamo Frank, y como te prometí en mi ultimo podcast, voy a describir los problemas que he tenido en cambiar de computadora.

Mi computadora antigua tenía seis años que es como una eternidad en el mundo de computadoras. Ya sé que podía hacer mis podcasts, pagar las cuentas, y hacer el procesamiento de textos, pero cuando intenté hacer un video o hacer otras cosas que necesitaron un CPU muy rápido, se puso muy lento. Decidí que llegó la hora de comprar una nueva computadora. Desde hace mucho tiempo he comprado computadoras Dell por el Internet, y he quedado muy contento con mis compras. Decidí comprar otra computadora Dell. Yo había codiciado una pantalla plana, muy ancha y aseguré que esa fue incluida en mi pedido. Supe también los otros artículos de hardware que quería, por lo tanto elegir esas opciones fue muy fácil. El problema fue el sistema operativo. ¿Debo quedarme con Windows XP o cambiar de sistema y comprar Windows Vista? Pensé que Windows XP es un sistema veterano, muy estable, pero probablemente, no voy a cambiar de computadora hasta cinco o seis años. Tal vez, después de uno o dos años todos los nuevos programas y todas las mejorías de mis programas en uso, estarán hechos para Vista. Tal vez Microsoft no apoyará Windows XP después de algunos años. Escogí Vista.

Dell me entregó la computadora a mi casa después de algunos días. Fue muy fácil poner en marcha la computadora. El problema fue mover todo el software de la computadora antigua a la nueva computadora. Había comprado un cable especial y software especial para mover los programas, pero no servía para nada. El software que hoy en día se vende en los EEUU tiene tanta seguridad que requiere que inserte el disco original, entre números de serie, etc. que probablemente hubiera sido más fácil usar los discos originales para poner el software en la nueva computadora. Si fuera simplemente que me costó tanto tiempo mover el software, probablemente no habría hecho este podcast con este tema. El problema es que hay software que no funciona con Vista y tuve que comprar nuevo software, muy caro, para cambiarlo. Además, tuve que comprar un nuevo escáner por que mi escáner antiguo no funciona con Vista y el fabricante no va a proporcionar nuevo software para Vista. Además tuve que cambiar de dos impresoras que no funcionan con Vista, aunque te confieso que una me había dado tantos problemas que estuve muy contento de tener motivo para cambiarla. ¡Pero eso no fue todo! Mi compañía tiene un sistema muy bueno que permite que los empleados puedan usar sus computadoras y acceder a sus archivos de cualquier punto en el mundo. Naturalmente, la seguridad es muy estricta. Cuando intenté instalar el software de seguridad, recibí el mensaje que el software de seguridad no funciona con Vista. Tendré que instalar el software de seguridad en la computadora de mi esposa.

Los anuncios de Vista dicen que Vista tiene muchos puntos nuevos de seguridad y es la verdad. Hay tanta seguridad que no tengo acceso a algunos programas. Después de muchas horas, aprendí a conseguir acceso a algunos programas, pero todavía recibo mensajes que dicen que no tengo derecho de acceso a algunas cosas. ¡Si yo no tengo derechos de acceso, no sé quien tiene los derechos! El cambio de Windows XP a Windows Vista ha sido una pesadilla. Todavía estoy intentando entender cuales programas no van a funcionar en Vista. También tuve que gastar cientos de dólares para comprar nuevo hardware para reemplazar hardware que no funciona con Vista. Si estás por comprar una nueva computadora, piensa en que te necesitarás. ¿Todo el hardware que has comprado, impresoras, escáneres, funcionarán en Windows Vista? ¿Todo el software que has comprado, funcionará en Windows Vista, o tendrás que comprar nuevas versiones por mucho dinero? ¿Tienes las ganas de gastar el tiempo cambiar todos los programas? Si te asustan estas cosas, quédate con Windows XP. Mejor, piensa en comprar un Apple. Todo el mundo que tiene un Apple me dice que no tiene problemas como mis problemas. Las cosas andan.

Quiero recordarte que hay un blog que apoya este podcast. Puedes encontrarlo en www.inglesparahispanohablantes.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've finally found this blog!!! (I understood english instead of ingles, and I couldn't understand why the URL didn't exist)

Well, I've just came here to say thank you and that I'm listening to your podcasts (they're been very useful for my listening exam, and I can revise vocabulary in a nicer way than studying with the books)

I'll keep visiting this blog =)