Sunday, April 8, 2007

Podcast 1


Hello and Welcome

Hello and welcome to English for Spanish Speakers. My name is Frank.

I am beginning these podcasts to help Spanish speakers improve their English. I shall assume that your English is proficient enough to follow most of what I am saying.

I live in the United States, very close to New York City. My accent and usage are American; however, as I suspect you already know, there are many different accents in the U.S. My accent is a northeastern accent. Accents in the southern part of the United States, and in some of the western parts of my country, sound very different from mine.

In addition to helping you improve your formal English, I want to help you understand some of the slang that we use in America, and to help you understand how culture affects the words we use. Many of our words have been influenced by our common culture of television, movies, politics, sports, government programs, laws, etc. I shall also try to help you with some of the more confusing parts of English grammar, although I know that many students consider all English grammar confusing.

In addition to the podcast, I maintain a blog at http://inglesparahispanohablantes.blogspot.com/ On the blog you will find a transcript of the podcast and a translation into Spanish. The Spanish will be for the most part Mexican Spanish; however, I have learned my Spanish in many different countries and from many different sources, so you may find a mixture of words and terms from many different Spanish speaking countries.

I expect to produce a podcast about once every two weeks. Sometimes they may be more frequent and at other times less frequent. The style may be a bit different from time to time.

My major inspiration for these podcasts came from Teresa Sanchez in Zamora, Spain. Teresa’s podcasts are for native English speakers such as myself who want to improve their Spanish. Her blog and podcasts can be found at http://ssl4you.blogspot.com/ I like her format very much, and shall copy much of it.

Another inspiration has been Ben Curtis and Marina Diez, a couple in Madrid, Spain, who also produce podcasts to help people improve their Spanish. Their website and podcasts can be found at http://www.notesinspanish.com/

I’ll end my introduction here, and look forward to being with you again in the near future.

Hola y Bienvenido

Hola y bienvenido a Inglés Para Hispanohablantes. Me llamo Frank.

Empiezo a hacer estos podcasts para ayudar a hispanohablantes a mejorar su inglés. Mi acento y uso son americanos, pero como probablemente ya sabes, hay muchos acentos en los estados unidos. Mi acento es del noreste. Acentos en el sur de los estados unidos y en algunas partes del oeste de mi país suenan muy diferente al mío.

Además de ayudarte a mejorar tu inglés formal, quiero ayudarte a comprender algo de la jerga que empleamos en los Estados Unidos, y ayudarte a entender como la cultura influye a las palabras que hablamos. La cultura que compartimos como televisión, cine, política, deportes, programas del gobierno, leyes, etc. influye a muchas palabras. También, intentaré ayudarte con las partes de la gramática inglesa muy poco claras, pero yo sé que muchos estudiantes piensan que todo de la gramática inglesa es muy poco clara.

Además del podcast, mantengo un blog a http://inglesparahispanohablantes.blogspot.com/ En el blog encontrarás una trascripción del podcast y una traducción en español. El español principalmente será de México, pero he aprendido mi español en muchos países y de muchas fuentes, tal vez encuentres una mezcla de palabras y términos de muchos países de habla español.

Espero hacer un podcast aproximadamente cada dos semanas. Algunas veces saldrán mas frecuentemente y otras veces saldrán menos frecuentemente. Tal vez cambien de estilo de vez en cuando.

Lo que me animó a hacer los podcasts fue Teresa Sanchez, de Zamora, España. Los podcasts de Teresa son para anglohablantes, como yo, que quieren mejorar su español. Puedes encontrar su blog y podcasts a http://ssl4you.blogspot.com/ Me gusta mucho su formato y voy a copiar mucho del formato.

También me animó Ben Curtis y Marina Diez, una pareja en Madrid, España, que también hacen podcasts para ayudar a gente mejorar su español. Su sitio y podcasts se encuentran a http://www.notesinspanish.com/

Termino la introducción ahora, y espero reunirme contigo pronto.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Cristian and I´m from Chile and I was in USA around 5 years ago studing english (begginer level) and from that trip until now I couldn't to practice my english. So, I like a lot Podcasts and I found this one. Thanks Frank for your time and do this. I hope to download a lot of session with your english class.

(Sorry for my english... it's not very well)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Frank,I am writting you from the north of Spain. I found your podcasts really interesting. Thank you for your time and for help us improve our english.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this for spent your time to produce this wonderful blog. It is very interesting to improve my English throught your articles in both language, English and Spanish.
I'm Manuel and I'm a English student in Colombia. I would like to know very much this beautiful and useful language: English. Thank you very much, Frank